Sunday, March 24, 2013

Oil Creek 100k - Sweet Jesus, what have I done

So I have been kicking it around for sometime now, I have a goal of running the Oil Creek 100k in Titusville, PA on October 5th, 2013.  Originally, I got the idea from Ron Heerkens Jr. website, From zero to 100k in 20 months.  The registration for the OC 100k started at noon yesterday and given that we had a 17.75k MCM race all morning, it was going to be close in getting back home to my computer.  To make matters worse, this race was a point to point race which required a shuttle back to the parking lot where we started.  Of course, the bus driver we had made things quite interesting and was going so slow, I told heather, ain't nobody got time for that.  I debated asking other people if they could help but I figured I would roll the dice and heather and I made it with about 15 minutes to spare.  Last year, it took the 100k between 60 minutes and 90 minutes to sell out.  The 50k sold out in less than 5 minutes.  So the pressure was ON.  The 100K only takes 100 entries.  Ok, heather and I are staked out at the computers waiting and waiting and waiting....I got timeanddate.com up just so that we can make sure we get in immediately...and then NOON hits...boom, the site went down.  Are you shitting me?  WTF...cmon...So heather is trying to access it, I am trying...my heart is pumping like I'm trying to PR at a local 5k and not let that 10 year old beat me..were yelling at each other and finally her page comes up but its not filled out and so we have to fill it out again....tick tock tick tock....she gets it filled out, then it goes to payment page, what is taking seconds feels like hours...were not going to get in, all because we can't type fast enough...I just know it, "its your fault if we don't get in"......"get out the way, let me do it", here comes the blaming!!!  pressure is high, tempers are flaring, its all on the line...finally, the credit card page comes up, she fills it out, and hits submit....WERE IN.  I am number 49 and got in by 12:02 EST.  Following the facebook page for OC 100, it sold out 12 minutes later....sick...just plain sick.  I suggest to every running husband and wife to test their marriage with a good old fashion registration deadline...if you can make it through the registration process, you can make it anywhere, lmao!!!  Registration shows 114 because they overloaded by a few just to account for the people who don't show.  Now comes the training...Can I run 62.1 miles in 31 hours...That is a good question but I do think I can if I train properly and mentally prepare...its definitely doable.  Goal 1:  finish, Goal 2:  DNF - do nothing fatal, 3:  Finish between 14-18 hours.  However, goal 1 is all that matters.  As of right now, I am running the Blue Ridge Marathon in Roanoke, VA, North face 50k in June, Drake Well Marathon in August, youngstown ultra trail classic 50k in September which should prepare me well however, I need runs that will keep me on my feet for long periods of time.  However, I need to training on eating through my long runs and learn how to walk big hills.  Training smart will also be important but if you don't try, you'll never know what you can do in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment