Sunday, October 9, 2016

Sesamoiditis is a show stopper!

Back at the end of July, I went on vacation to Vail, CO and did a pretty decent hike - Booth lake trail which has about 4k elevation gain however the first 4.5 miles were 4k up.  It was a single track trail and about 2+ miles in got pretty technical.  Because I was already dealing with extensor tendinitis in my right foot, I may have been put more weight on the left foot more.  I had the Merrill boots for a couple of years but they had a narrow toe box but were broken in.  The hike took us under 6 hours which included frequent breaks with the kids and was about 9.1 miles at almost 12k elevation.  After I got back to the hotel, I took off my left boot and could see my left big toe was swollen and thought to myself I don't recall feeling this during the hike.  However, I had hurt my big right toe many years ago and remember how long that took to heal.  I was hoping that was not the case here.  Having another week of vacation, I KT'd it up and and iced it every night however it was not like I could rest given we were going to be in Vegas.  Given that I have had foot injuries in the past, I went to my usualy podiatrist who had been pretty honest with my in past years.  It had been 3 weeks and he told me that I should be ok in another 3 weeks.  SO, I did the ice bucket every night after riding my spinning bike and doing upper body workouts.    After 6 weeks, it still hadn't pregressed as I had hoped.  Lets hope it heals quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment