Thursday, January 2, 2014

2013 Year in Review

2013 was a big running year for me.  I turned into an ultrarunner this year which was the biggest challenge that I had set up for myself.

I ran a total of  1526 miles of which 287 miles  were raced in 30 races. I also finished the Dirt in Your Skirt Holiday Hundred Challenge with 146 miles between Thanksgiving and New Years Eve.

During the year, I set a 5K PR, a marathon PR, a 50K PR, 10 mile road and trail PRs, and a 5 mile trail PR.  I also placed third in my age group twice and became a Half Fanatic and a Marathon Maniac.

Despite all of that, the highlights of my running year are not my races.  My top three highlights were 1) pacing the last 50K of the Oil Creek 100K with JD

2) running the Mother's Day 4 Miler with Zach

 and 3)  running the Run for Independence 8K with Nicolas.

 My personal highlight would be crossing the finish line of my first ultra distance at Youngstown Ultra Trail Classic.


And how can I forget meeting in person Bill Rodgers, Bart Yasso, and Frank Shorter and of course, Dean Karnazes whose book inspired me to want to run marathons in the first place.
Bill Rodgers

Bart Yasso

Frank Shorte

Ultramarathon man in the flesh!



Overall I had a great year of racing and enjoyed sharing that with my family and with the new running friends.  My running circle has really grown over the year thanks to Moms Run This Town, and I love meeting new people on our runs.

Zach completed 11 5Ks, a 4 mile race, and an 8K this year and got himself a nice 5K PR, an age group award, and a sub-8 minute mile at summer track. Zach has plans to run his first 10K this spring. Nicolas raced 10 5Ks, a 4 mile race, and an 8K this year and got a sub 30 minute 5K this year.  We also had a blast at Run Amuck and the boys had 1-2 finishes at the Red Shoe and Run Like the Wind Kid's Races.

I'm looking forward to a terrific 2014 season.  We already raced our first 5K on New Year's Day (report to come).  We are racing the Frozen 5K on Sunday and probably a few other 5Ks in February and March.  My next big race is March 15 Instant Trail Classic Marathon.  I am also signed up for the Cherry Blossom 10 Mile in April,  Pittsburgh Marathon in May and super excited about the Ultra Mega Transect in October.  My big goal for the year is a 50 miler (crossing my fingers to get into Bull Run but if not considering Vermont), and I'm leaning towards throwing my hat into the ring for Oil Creek 100K.

1 comment:

  1. What a fantastic year of running and great accomplishments! 1500+ miles for the year shows a tremendous amount of dedication. Wishing you a healthy 2014!

    ReplyDelete